Chairmans Update to All Members
As we start to leave 2020 behind us and head into 2021, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and all your families a Happy & Safe New Year.
2020 has no doubt been a very difficult year for us all and the challenges we faced as a club have been no different. Despite the impact of COVID-19 we have been able to safely train and play football were possible and have made the most of the situation.
This has only been possible because of the huge effort by our coaches and Covid officers who have dedicated themselves unselfishly to providing the facility for our players to play football and train no matter what conditions have been thrown at them!
The numbers attending training sessions has been remarkable and a visit to the grounds any night of the week will remind us all as to what the club is all about!
Although we have now entered a new lockdown with all training postponed and the club closed until the 31st January, we hopefully are now on our last hurdle whilst beginning the journey of the return of some sense of normality in the not too distant future. When permitted we hope to maximise our training sessions and play competitive football as much as possible this year, so stay fit and be prepared, we will be back!
Before I give my update, I would like to thank our outgoing Chairman Pat Mc Donagh for all his immense time and effort, leadership, commitment and support over the years and thank him for his promise for his continued support into the future and look forward to seeing him on the side lines and staying very much part of the club.
I would also like to thank Ger O Connor who is changing roles this year and has taken up her new position as Juvenile Girls Secretary for her huge efforts and diligence in carrying out her role as Children’s Welfare Officer and Tanya for all she has done for the club and thank you for all your commitment
I would also like to thank all the club officers, committee members, our volunteers, coaches, Covid officers, grounds team, Health & Well Being Committee, our sponsors, members and parents and also our players for your dedication to the club. A special thanks also to our Senior Adult Mens Team manager Joe McBrearty who is moving on to new ventures in 2021
We also remember those who have passed way in our community and those who have lost family members this year and who remain in our thoughts at this difficult time
Despite the world coming to a halt the club didn’t and we successfully delivered on a number of projects over the year. These included
1. New LED floodlights on both pitches and huge thanks to Alan & Vinnie who got this over the line despite massive challenges around COVID-19
2. Additional ground /pitch works and again thanks to our Facilities Committee and in particular to Rory Flynn and Derek Keogh. We hope to include some additional works including tidying up the area along the Astro and creating a viewing area with the support of the team under the direction of Mark Farrell & Tommie Duggan
3. New Wifi Access Point
4. Additional Lighting to the Car Park
5. Appointment of a new PRO
6. Appointment of a new Football and Player Development Committee and Director of Football John O Leary
7. We ran a very successful Cul Camp with thanks to our GPO Paul Wilde and Tanya Newman and Ian Donnelly
8. Formation of a Covid Task force and a special thanks to Brian Duffy for all his hard work in preparing the grounds to comply with guidelines. We have received numerous compliments from visiting teams and county board representatives on our compliance status, so thank to you all!
9. Further development works on our website and thanks to the our amazing club photographer Mick O Dywer who has supplied us with fantastic shots of our games throughout 2020, a real talking point around the club!. Dara our newly appointed PRO has been doing great work keeping us updated with club news and fixtures.
Our website has now nearly 10,000 visits since we re-launched it in 2019. The website will be one of our main communication platforms going forward with further enhancements scheduled for 2021 and I would encourage all members to visit regularly and become a site member. We hope to be able to include a page for our members who supply product or services to be listed for all our members to support.
10. We also successfully held an Online AGM with over 50 participants
Membership for 2021 will remain at 2020 rates and we have changed the layout which is now hopefully easier to understand. We want all members playing so if you find the current economic situation a barrier please contact Alan or myself in strict confidence and we can find a solution!
It is critical especially with our reduced ability to fundraise that we would ask all members to pay their memberships on time as we have to pay for & register all players at the start of the season. Club membership is compulsory to ensure players are registered with our club and respective GAA /LGFA bodies, the club incurs a number of annual charges per player from our governing bodies, insurance, etc. which membership fee’s directly cover.
All fees must be processed/paid up by the 28th February 2021 please. Players who don't have their membership paid/processed by this date will unfortunately not be allowed to train or take part in games until your membership is fully paid up - no exceptions. We would encourage all members to pay their memberships by the 31st January. If you have any particular requirements around membership please contact the relevant secretary of your section (senior, juvenile, girls etc) with your query. Registrations after the 28th February will not be eligible for All Ireland ticket draws.
Online membership is now open and full details can be found here
We will be moving our Club Lotto online shortly and will re-introduce the envelopes as Covid restrictions allow and are currently reviewing the current format of the Lotto to hopefully facilitate more frequent winners!
We have further ambitious plans for 2021 and we will be looking for more volunteers to get involved. As the saying goes "Many hands makes light work" and we will be reaching out to all our members in the coming weeks to encourage you to get involved. We will in particular be looking for members who are specialised in IT, digital media, marketing, finance, administration and all trades and members who would be interested in becoming mentors/coaches.
No doubt I have forgotten to thank or mention someone or something and for this I apologise and can assure you it wasn’t done out of disrespect but purely of my own forgetfulness.
Thank you all for support during 2020 and stay safe and I look forward to welcoming you all back in 2021 when we are permitted to do so
Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit